Friday, July 8, 2016

Life Update!

Hey there!

The school year is over and summer is in full swing!



I was just looking back through my drafts on this blog (it's where I start posts and keep ideas) and pretty much all of them were time sensitive so I couldn't post any of them... :( Well, that's what I get!

However, I figured that it is time for a much needed update! A lot has changed! If you don't know it already, I'm headed to Australia next week! NEXT WEEK PEOPLE! I am by no means an adventurous person. Frankly, I am the most annoyingly predictable person, but I've decided to use this trip to conquer a lot of fears and just have fun! My mom and I will be zip-lining, bridge climbing, sand boarding, and caffeinating our way through three major cities. And don't worry. There will definitely be a post about the trip once I get back. Be sure to follow my Instagram for all the pictures of kangaroos, koalas, and me falling when sand boarding.


In other super exciting news, I'M A GRAD STUDENT!!! I was officially accepted into an Educational Leadership and Principal Certification program last week. I was so excited that I legitimately read the word "Congratulations" and then closed the envelop and called everyone. My roommate then read through the material for me while I ate ice cream later. She's a keeper. So, I start my program this fall and have a phone conference with the head honcho at my grad school to set up a plan. It's all so exciting, scary, and wonderful!

Another piece of news that I've kind of announced but not really, is that I'm changing grade levels. Second grade Kati is finally graduating to 5th grade! I even get some of my students from my first year teaching! The move to 5th grade was one that I requested. Going into administration and ultimately being an assistant principal/principal means working with teachers at every grade level. I really didn't want to be the principal that "knows everything" but only taught one grade level. Once I am done teaching 5th grade, I'll have worked in K, 1st, 2nd, 5th and will have a decent enough understanding of 3rd and 4th because of working in the grades above and below. I spent a lot of time working with a 3rd grade teacher this year to gain some understanding there, so next year is all about 5th and partnering up with 4th grade! I just can't stop learning!


Of course, with a grade change, that meant a classroom makeover! I'm keeping my polka dots. I just love them too much, but I am making it a bit more "grown up" for my mini adults. I posted a sneak peek of my bulletin board headers on my Instragram yesterday, but the theme is polka dots, chalkboard, and burlap. It's kind of cool and trendy without being overwhelming. I like my classroom to be calm and consistent, so that's my goal. Our school will be at a temporary site this year while our other school is rebuilt. Even though its just one year in our less than lovely location, I plan on setting up a full classroom with all the fixin's! I want those 5th graders to have a great final year of elementary school, especially since they don't get to enjoy the new beautiful school!


That's it for now! I have a crazy, busy day. I hope all you teachers are enjoying your well deserved break and all you non-teachers are having a great Friday!

~Kati

No comments:

Post a Comment